SHOESTRING PLAYHOUSE at The MAC
There is a lot of flexibility in the costing depending on the frequency of your event (e.g. one-off, regular, occasional), what equipment you want (seating, lighting, sound), whether you need storage or security between events, what time of day you want to be in and out, any technical services you need, cleaning and so on.
If you want an accurate estimate, please contact us well ahead so we can put the date in our Calendar and you can “talk turkey” with our Manager about how we can get your show on the road.
1. THE SPACE SPACE (includes Casual Hire and Regular usage):
Includes access to:
- Performance space, change room, toilet, backstage access door (see floor diagram)
- Default seating
- LED and fluorescent generic ceiling lighting
- On-site induction session with caretaker
2. TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT (additional cost, if required)
- Access to technical (light/A-V) equipment (see list below)
- Technical assistance person available to advise, assist and approve technical set-up of on-site equipment and ‘3rd party’ operator skills
- A general (default) lighting setup. Approx. 6 LED lights on a suspended lighting grid (5.5M) directed towards a stage area. Changes / additions and returning to default stage lighting location will incur a fee.
3. TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PERSON (For hourly rate).
- A theatre technician will be REQUIRED for positioning of and/or changes to the block seating arrangement, lighting, A-V equipment. Advance notice (minimum 2 weeks) is required for set-up changes. Anything different from the default setting (see image below) will incur a charge for movement and replacement to default location.
- Our technical adviser will assess the competency of the hirer’s (3rd party) operators and whether they are permitted to use the on-site A-V equipment.
- NOTE: Faults in hired equipment during rehearsal / performance e.g. light globes or fuse blowing, will not be charged and will be repaired between uses.
- Shoestring Playhouse has a seating capacity of 100 on comfortable, retractable tiered seating. There are 40 additional plastic chairs that can be hired and placed in front of the retractable seating.
- There are male and female changing rooms available next to the toilets. Each has a floor area of approximately 4.5 x 2.5 metres.
- There is no Green Room.
- Lights available are listed below
- We will be installing sound equipment in March 2023. It will consist of 4 large powered wall-mounted speakers cabled to a central hub, two smaller speakers positionable (cables across the floor). There is a basic mixer, and amplifier available for hire.
- The “MAC Room” may be used as a foyer for performance attendees. This must be hired separately from “The MAC Inc.”
- We do not recommend using the kitchen unless supplying food / drink to people in the MAC Room.
- The space is available to organisations and individuals expressing their artistic endeavour. These expressions may be dance, performance workshops, literary talks, film script readings, musicals, circus, musical performance, rehearsals etc.
- Shoestring Playhouse must be left in the same condition as it was supplied. Cleaning / repair costs will be levied if deemed necessary.
T&Cs of hire
- Hirers are required to provide their own public liability insurance to $10 million minimum.
- There is a mandatory induction session for each user.
- An estimate is provided based on discussion with the Operations person. If the actual usage of the theatre is different from the agreed estimate, additional charges may be incurred. This applies to things such as early or late (or no) arrival / departure; hire of extra lighting equipment; change of seating position; additional hire of platforms / seats; change of dates etc.
- REGULAR Users (minimum 8 weeks) may be entitled to access the key to the space (on trust) under certain conditions
- DAY HIRE (8 hours) is less expensive than the hourly rate.
- All rates are negotiable and at the discretion of Torquay Theatre Troupe Inc.
- Any and all hired equipment must be used ONLY on the premises.
Breakages and damages will be paid for by the hirer at a 15% surcharge
This NOT a licensed venue. Users must make their own arrangements for food and liquor sales on-site and supply all relevant paperwork to the Manager.
Please refer to the Conditions of Hire document prior to signing an Agreement.
ESTIMATES FOR 2023 will be provided following detailed discussion with the Hirer.
Subsequent changes to the hire agreement (e.g. more lights, additional tech services, early / late access) will incur additional charges at the agreed rate/s.
|Space Hire||2 hour minimum|
|One-off hire (may be several performances of one show)||Each additional hour|
|All day (8 hours) or part thereof|
|Access to performance space, public toilets, dressing room.|
|Ceiling (generic) house lighting|
|Mandatory induction session|
|Technical EQUIPMENT Hire (if required)||Rates depend on equipment hired, number of items and duration.|
|Resources on-site: stage lights, lighting board, basic sound equipment, Data projector, curtains, stage/seating platforms and chairs (max 35 on platforms), 2 retractable seating blocks (total=100 in retractable seating)|
|TECHNICAL STAFF (if required)||4 hour minimum|
|* Tech Assistance (between 2 and 4 persons) may be required to set up rostra (seating, staging), lighting, cabling if other than the default setting.|
|Emergency CallOut (if required) – Fee|
- Licos (incadescent) x 6
- Fresnels (incadescent) x 8
- Fresnels (LED) x 6
- Robotic heads (LED) x 2
- Various birdies
- All with internal or external barn doors, safety cables, clamps
- 20 x 240V electrical extension cords (3, 5 and 10 metres), double adapters and powerboards
- NOTE: any electrical equipment supplied by the Hirer will need to be tested and tagged.